32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 3:34 AM by sofiahammbly

What is a good (non free) VPN service that I  can use?

coldheat06

Hi Z-Community, I am in the search for a good VPN, not a free one but one that is worth the money (but will not break me...lol).   Please let me know your suggestions.

• Re: What is a good (non free) VPN service that I  can use?
          hollap

Same here...I've been told PIA (Private Internet Access) is pretty solid.  Anyone else have any thoughts on a good VPN?

poohbiwon

I've been using VPN Unlimited for 2 years. They have sales every few months offering their Lifetime service for a one-time fee of $40, but I've seen it even lower ($30).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              razor512

One thing to look for in a VPN, is a guarantee that they do not collect logs of user activity, as well as support for various cryptocurrencies. For example Anonymous VPN Service From The Leaders | Private Internet Access

If you are looking to improve your privacy, there is no free VPN service that you do not run yourself, that will offer better privacy than your ISP. If the service cost is free, then you can bet that all of your activity is being sold to anyone who is willing to pay.

Furthermore, never trust a onetime payment for lifetime access. That means that the company either doesn't plan on sticking around for long, or simply wants to double dip by getting you to pay to enter, then also getting additional  money by selling your activity. When you go with a VPN, you are placing a lot of trust in the people providing the service, as they are placing them self in between you and the internet.

That level of access gives them total control over your security and privacy, as if they wanted to, they could inject malicious content into web pages  that you load, perform phishing that is far harder to detect, inspect encrypted traffic (with the exception of public key encryption where the private key never touches the internet), and much more.

If they have the ability to limit what you can do over the service, then they are monitoring you, and at that point, it will be hard for them to resist making extra money by selling that info.

There is simply no way to offer a free VPN service, or lifetime for a small upfront cost, and ever have a hope of delivering on it for more than a short while. Unlike hosting a website, or distributing videos through a CDN, a VPN service, requires an astronomical amount of throughput, with no way to really engage useful peering agreements to reduce costs. It is not cheap, thus if a price seems too good to be true, then what is essentially having is you are using a service for next to nothing while the company sells access such that 3rd parties can pay to be the man in the middle.

jimlloyd40

I bought PureVPN on a lifetime deal $39 for 5 devices and it's great. Top rated by Computerworld also for what that's worth. And the only thing that they have ever asked for was a smiley face rating. Had it for 1 1/2 years and they haven't ever asked for or tried to up sell me anything.

I have asked this question to a lot of experts razor512 ,I have 40 mbps download speed from Century Link but when I use PureVPN and allow it to connect to the fastest server in the US at that time I get download speeds of as high as 175 mbps. How can I get faster download speeds using PureVPN than I'm paying Century Link for?

razor512

It is hard to tell why it would go faster. Though a possible reason could be a client app behaving similarly to a squid proxy server, where frequently requested data gets cached.

The only way to really be sure, is to download something that cant have been cached locally, as well as something that can't be compressed.

For example, torrenting a large file from a known fast service.

Another option, is to monitor the transfer speeds from outside of the encrypted tunnel, for example, if your PC is running the VPN client software, then have the router monitor the throughput.

For the lifetime plans, if the company wants to be around for a long time, they will have to limit how many peop;le are on those plans, or they may start doing things to punish lifetime users, for example, when cell services wanted to get rid of unlimited plans, they found ways to punish the people who stuck with them, such as throttling them to dialup speeds after they used 5GB of data, or imposed other restrictions.

It is also like how some web hosts will have special plans where if you use a special coupon code, you save 30% off of the life of the account, but after a fairly short while, you find that the plan you are on, is increasing in cost constantly up until it is more expensive, or they slowly remove features until you move to a different plan.

Overall, it is not something that they may do now, but you can bet that compared to the other plans, when most of the lifetime accounts have gotten more value out of it as compared to the monthly or yearly plans, they will begin to degrade those lifetime plans.

If a VPN service is constantly pushing people to purchase a lifetime account, then they are either selling user info, or only plan of getting a large number of people to buy into the service, then after 2 or so years, the company gets shut down, or the owners start a new LLC, and then sell the old one to the new one for like $1, and then use the buyout as a reason to end all old contracts, and then repeat the cycle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        keep_it_silent

********, PureVPN and Ivacy are the worst services you can possibly choose. Service is terrible, but their marketing is even worse. Basically anyone, who recommends the service, is either affiliated or biased. Don't make my mistake with this shady company.

This is what I mean:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

jimlloyd40

You're welcome to your opinion but I resent you saying that I'm either biased or affiliated with PureVPN. I am neither. Obviously you had a bad experience. My experience with PureVPN has been fantastic. I tried several others and none of the others had the speeds and number of servers. The connection speed is very fast and it doesn't lose the connection.

PureVPN is always at the top of all the reviews that I've seen. Thanks for the links. If anyone bothers to click on them they will see nothing but others who agree with me.

rjt378

None of these people are going to put you over their business if a government agency comes knocking, etc. They mostly tell DMCA lawyers the same "we dont log so we cannot provide you with anything," but they will cave if their business is threatened. And there is always a trail for advanced nation states to target if you into some serious stuff. So that is why you should be far more interested in their software chops (things like kill switches) and encryption methods over the standard promise to not toss you under the bus.

Torguard offers about the most options with significant encryption choices, including a truly stealth proxy if you are in a country like China or Russia. Their software has plenty of options but connecting is inconsistent for me and my speeds are nowhere near maxed out for download or upload. About $30/year and that includes a premium mobile app that works very well. Better than the desktop experience for me.

The best software and speeds I have experienced is Cyberghost. Just one toggle and you are connected quickly. I haven't used it in around a year as my subscription ended so I dont know if that changed, or what their encryption chops are. Their mobile app is good and even the free version will connect to protect public wifi automatically if it is saved in your wifi settings. The only app I know that does that. Im data conscious and I use free wifi as much as possible so I love that. I dont need to connect manually. Their pricing is odd, though. They used to have $9 sales but those are rare now. In my account I can sign up again for different prices depending on what link I follow. The cheapest is around $35.

hollap

I agree, if you are doing something savage or endangering others, they will give you up in a minute.  All I'm looking to do is cover up my Kodi viewing habits  

razor512

Agreed, that is one the guaranteed issue with any VPN service. If the government comes knocking, they will hand over all that they have without a second thought, especially if it can be kept secret.

The concerns about VPN privacy is not about performing illegal activity, as a VPN will not help, since a company can be compelled to begin collecting specific info, so even if they have no long now, it doesn't mean that can't flip a switch and start logging.

For blanket collection of info, e.g., there is no evidence of criminal activity but a bureaucrat would like to take a look, just to be sure/ out of curiosity.

The way the VPN service provider, collects info, determines how much they care about your privacy.

For example, some will work to make it as hard as possible to identify their customers, and that helps to protect privacy, as they cannot be made to give up info that they simply do not have. Beyond that, if they design the service to by fully funded from subscriptions, in addition to having methods in place to ensure that they can't readily identify their customers, then it is more likely that their business model does not include incentives to collect and sell user data. VPNs have to take these measures because there is a tremendous level of incentive for them to sell user data, as the data that runs through their networks are only rivaled some of the most invasive spyware ever developed. To make matters worst, that are in control of info that for whatever reason, the users feel that they need additional privacy over.

It is like pointing to a box and telling people to not look inside, or a big red button that says "Don't Push".

In order to garner some trust, the company needs to make it as clear as possible that they are unable to collect your info. Some will even use a warrant canary to keep users informed that if secret recording of their info is in process under the patriot act. If they aren't prepared to go to these lengths, then you can bet they retain some ability to hand the user over on a silver platter of someone comes knocking and wonders what someone did a few days ago.

jimlloyd40

My favorite by far is PureVPN. They don't collect logs and I get the best speeds with them. When the A7 was introduced there was sparse information available with regards to the release date. Of course now we know that the delay was for the capacitive buttons but I kept reading news sites mentioning the French website as having information so I used PureVPN to get a French server to get information. It wasn't that helpful because the English availability was not good and I don't speak French. I got PureVPN on sale for $39 for a lifetime subscription for 5 devices. They are always having sales so I would watch for one. Can't remember what the cost is otherwise coldheat06 .

runtohell121

The one's I've tried was Private Internet Access and Torguard; both are paid service with deals at time; never had problems with either and actually used it when I was in China a while back.

I haven't really looked into VPN for a while though; but occasionally I'll use TunnelBear, which gives you free limited usage monthly and does what I need.

coldheat06

Just came across this ..... Good article:

The Best VPN Services of 2017 | PCMag.com

jimlloyd40

I use PureVPN and it's an editors choice on the list. Got it when it was on sale for $39 for a lifetime subscription including 5 devices.

dinaafifi

I have been using a reliable and secured VPN service since year ago, they provide different servers all over the world and you can select the closest one for your location to get best speed , it is quite cheap https://www.iwasel.xyz/en/smoketunnel/

jasonscarter

Check with your college/university you went to.  A lot of universities and colleges don't disable accounts based on "email for life" situations.  Most of them have VPNs you can still authenticate to with a valid active account.

razor512

It is best to be careful with college VPNs, not sure if it applies to all of them, but the ones I have been to, had documentation available stating that they did monitor all activity. Some even required you to accept one of their certificates so that they could spy on SSL sessions.

If they allow services like netflix, and you just want to get around restrictions, e.g., netflix deciding that you should only have access to the just the bad shows and movies the moment you cross an imaginary line on the map.

Beyond that, If available, it is good to keep a decent list of VPNs that you can use, as as long as you are aware of the privacy level of each VPN, having free backups is always good.

jasonscarter

I currently work at, and my prior job was at another, which is why I suggested these.  In both cases, we do not spy on traffic.  We have no interest in this.  We are a institution of higher learning and people will be accessing all sorts of things on the internet.  If we were to get a DCMA take down notice, that is about the only time we look into the logs, if we even have the time or staffing to do so.  The certificate thing isn't for us to spy either.  Sometimes colleges will use an internal CA to issue the certificate because it's free, and since it's internal, you have to trust it.  Correct way to do this would be get a cert from a public CA like VeriSign, Go Daddy, etc, and both my current and former employer used this approach, so there was no certificate acceptance prompt.  Are there colleges out there where somebody sits and watches a monitor all day looking at VPN traffic?  Maybe, but man, that must be some sys admin who doesn't have anything better to do or that college has so much money for staffing they can assign somebody to that task.  Most higher ed places are understaffed.

razor512

Not sure if it is limited to state funded colleges, though they seem to generally be paranoid about how the network is used, thus lots of logging happens, probably just in case the government comes knocking, they will have a trove of information to sift through. For many people looking for a VPN, they typically want a service where it is as difficult as possible (using whatever legal loopholes possible), to track a user down who is using the service. This overall leads to claims of no retaining of logs, acceptance of crypto currencies so that payments cannot be easily tracked, and no need for real user information. Other than that, at the colleges it didn't seem like anyone there would even have the time to look through any logged info.

Basically with any VPN service, they will have to comply with requests from law enforcement (whether legitimate or corrupt), thus with policies of not retaining data, can mean that they cannot easily get into past user activity, thus making it more difficult fr them to single out a specific user for close monitoring. With universities being less willing to venture into legal gray areas, they will likely take steps to avoid any trouble with the government, and that usually involves logging in a way where it the government comes knocking they can effectively tell them "Hey, we had nothing to do with it, the person who you're looking for is over there, here is all of the info we have on him/her".

More privacy focused VPNs, will be able to effectively tell them "we don't retain any logs, so this is all the info we can provide you".

All of them will turn over what they have when the government comes knocking, but you want the provider that has the least amount of information to turn over.

jasonscarter

We can talk more over a beer in Dallas, but we aren't all that paranoid about the network since it's shared with students and they do all sorts of things (Good, bad, etc).  Maybe you had a bad experience with higher ed IT someplace, but I have worked in IT within higher ed for 15 years, and your worries don't' really carry any merit with the places I have worked at.  We didn't even have money to buy storage to even store logs at one of my prior employers, so we had nothing, nada zip.  It didn't matter who came knocking.  We didn't have it.  And under no obligation to even give a response unless they went through the right channels.

razor512

Wanted to share this new security now episode delving into privacy and VPNs (second part will be next week) Security Now 606: Proactive Privacy - YouTube

cornichon_sale

Search https://torrentfreak.com/ for their annual vpn recommendations/reviews.  In my opinion, they would be the type of people that would be well informed in this type of thing.

jimlloyd40

Android Authority has a story about the best VPN 's today and PureVPN is rated one of the best and is on sale for $89 for a lifetime subscription good for 5 devices.

sofiahammbly

Well, you are looking for VPN then your primary purpose is security, anonymity and online security, If you are not paying cash for a VPN service you use, then you must be paying with your Online Privacy. Free VPNs keep the log of all your online activities and details. Which use your data to show your their product ads. If you want to use a VPN but don’t want to spend a lot of money, then it is wise and recommended for some reliable and secure VPN services with affordable price. I would recommend  you paid VPN detail are here https://www.reviewsdir.com/best-vpn-services/