3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 8:09 AM by hollap

Wiping the cache partition

stevec5375

I won't beleaguer this post with my opinion but I will say that it seems that many problems seem to be TEMPORARILY solved by people's wiping of the cache partition.  This brings up the question:  how does the cache partition get populated with data?  Does it not seem like the root cause of this problem would be related to one or more apps putting bad data there?  Perhaps even Android itself is writing bad data to it.  In any event, things like wiping the cache partition and rebooting of the phone are merely temporary fixes and do not address the root cause of the problem.  Therefore, the problem(s) is/are bound to return.

This is the first Android phone I have ever owned where wiping of the cache partition for some people seems to be a necessary DAILY exercise in futility.

• Re: Wiping the cache partition
          jimlloyd40

stevec5375  I could be totally wrong but it is my understanding that the cache partition only contains information related to the system. When computer chips get written and rewritten or written over traces of code are left over that can cause problems. I only wipe the cache partition when I first get a phone or after a system update. The main storage cache I clear regularly and it's my understanding that the cache in the main storage contains pieces of information from websites and apps  that you have visited so that going back to the website or app  is quicker. The main storage cache is stored in the RAM and that space is limited and is why a phone will get slow if the RAM is near full. I always think of the RAM as a rev limiter.  If it's near full it's always bumping out the oldest stored data to allow the new data in. Kind of like hitting a rev limiter.

Now I'll patiently wait for one of the real tech gurus to see this and straighten me out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            jasone

Just wanted to add I've had to clear the cache partition on other phones to clear up issues. It's not just the Axon 7, stuff happens and clearing the cache partition is usually the first step to fixing most issues and an FDR is next on every phone I've used. I don't find myself doing it often though as a temporary fix for any one thing. If something goes wrong that's usually what I'll try but it's not very often.

hollap

Samsung Reps are telling customers to do this to fix audio issues on the Galaxy S8 according to this article: Samsung’s issues continue as Galaxy S8, S8+ owners report audio drops – BGR