33 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 8:27 PM by frodriguez2010

This company failed!

bobajet

In trying to do something that another major competitor is known for lacking at, this company has failed and maybe even proven why competitors take their time at updating operating systems. This phone was fine when I bought it around 8 months ago. But the update to nougat and every subsequent update thereafter has irrevocably broken something major with this phone. The first nougat update broke my camera focusing  ability in picture and video form. Fine. But really?!? Fine, camera wasn't that good to start and I don't really use it that often. The next update honestly didn't break anything but it didn't fix the camera issue. And the last update. Well that was the straw. I no longer have quick charge 3.0.  My phone gets exceedingly hot while charging. And just today my phone won't charge past 85%. Needless to say that I will never buy a phone from this or any other Chinese manufacturer honestly. And now I understand the price point. There will always be  compromises. And you tell me to send it in, fine, but I don't have a backup phone, so that's a no go until I finally get the note 8 and be rid of this $400 waste. Really, I honestly would rather a company drag their feet at updating a phone then destroy it by incompetently rushing out updates.

• Re: This company failed!
          jimlloyd40

Why doesn't everyone have the problems you mentioned? Have you tried any of the normal remedies, such as wiping the cache partition in recovery and clear the main storage cache in the storage settings and then reboot? Have you done a factory reset?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            jasone

I've not seen any issues like this with mine and I also wonder if you've tried wiping the cache from recovery or performing an FDR.

lekeiser

Like Jim and Jasone, I have none of the issues you've mentioned. I have the latest update installed, and this phone still rocks! It's still on top of all the phones out there, even the new ones like the S8. Great great audio, still a great screen, blazingly fast, ... What more do you want?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                adrb

It looks like you may have a defective device.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  dnewman007

I have to agree with the rest of the folks here. I'm not have any of the issues listed. If were me I would try a Factory Reset and if that did not fix the issue I would contact ZTE for help and or a replacement. I just had to do a Factory Reset on my wife's Note 5 to fix a couple of issues. This is common practice with most Android phones. Sometimes things get mixed up inside and they have to be reset. Heck, I even have to reset other devices like my Direct TV receiver once in awhile to fix them.

dr.m

More expensive phones do not necessarily equate to trouble free -- as the problems Samsung had with the $850 Note 7 fire breathing batteries illustrate. 

And there is a reason that Android updates don't stop with version n.0 -- because all updates for virtually all phones and all makes encounter some issues due to upgrading.

doppelgangerd

I don't have the issues that the OP has with my Axon 7, but he also never even mentioned which model phone he is having the issues with,
                      but based on the mentions about multiple Nougat updates and costing $400, I am assuming it's the A7.

Things like this can happen randomly to pretty much any phone, no matter who makes it or how much it costs.

If it was purchased new from an authorized dealer, then you should also have the Passport warranty protection and be able to
                      get a replacement model pretty quickly.

Even before all that, I would follow the advice others have given about clearing caches and possibly FDRing the device.

razor512

This is the first time I have seen anyone report an issue with an update causing their camera to no longer focus. The closest to a camera/ lens issue that has to do with any moving parts that have been reported, is a user having an issue with the OIS function having an issue where it will rapidly move the lens side to side (not sure if it was an issue with the actuator, or if it was a sensor issue, since OIS uses sensor data to determine camera shake, and then compensate for it.

While it is annoying to do, sometimes if there are too many uncommon issues, it is best to do a factory reset, and if you can, also set it up as a new device.

One common issue where someone may experience an issue after a factory reset, is they will restore a backup that may reinstall an app  that was responsible for some of their issues.

jimlloyd40

bobajet Haven't seen a response from you yet. After you try these suggestions please let us know how it goes.

ashishv

Software issues in ZTE: Fk this and all other chinese companies.

Note 7 explodes: No problem, I'll buy Note 8. Keep up the good work.

Nice logic

jazzi

Dude the sarcasm is not really necessary.  The original poster is upset and frustrated and is venting.   Nobody likes device malfunctions and while some may choose to remain silent, others may opt to huff and puff a bit.  It's their right.

It is evident that the problem is software related since the issues occur following updates.  As others have suggested, possible remedies up to a factory reset should be attempted if necessary. That should sort out most software issues.   A bit of research on installed 3rd party apps should be done as well to determine whether they have been known to cause similar issues on other devices.

On a side note,  what's the deal with Android on mobile devices anyway?   Android is a Linux distro at its core so it should be solid.  Are the countless device issues I constantly read about the result of inferior hardware used in some mobile devices and poorly written apps?   I use Slackware and Linux Mint on my laptops and I hardly have problems which do not result through my constant tinkering .

jimlloyd40

jazzi To respond to your question about "what's the deal with Android on mobile devices" it's simple. The OEMs add their skin (UI) on top of stock Android thus creating bugs. Of course if they didn't add their UI to Android every Android phone would operate the same and the only difference would be the hardware.

jimlloyd40

Happy trolling ashishv . " Note 7 explodes : No problem I'll buy Note 8" . No Chinese OEM has had their phones spontaneously combust that I'm aware of. You can keep your laggy TouchWiz infected Samsung phone that comes preloaded with so many apps that can't be uninstalled or disabled. I don't think that the Note 7 caught on fire because of the battery. I think they self destructed from bloatware.

jazzi

I am aware Jim.  Most Linux distributions (distros) implement a layer over the kernel to make it usable. Moreover many of the popular modern distros (eg Mint & Ubuntu) are repackaged implementations of an original (Debian). Hence even more layers and customisations.

My point was it appears that Android based mobile  (handheld) devices seem to be afflicted with more issues than devices such as laptops running other distros.

As I indicated in my initial post,  the issue may be due to quality of apps and/or  hardware.  Having considered the matter further,  I think I'm able to make a bit more sense out of it.  It may also be a case of numbers.  Handhelds in use far outnumber other forms of operating system based devices. They are normally used in less controlled environments and often under conditions that are downright inhospitable.  In addition, an increasing number of features are being packed in a comparatively smaller package.

I reckon therefore that there is more scope for failure and that their issues will receive increased publicity.

smh032395

Same man I've had no issues and ZTE has been pretty good with their updates they have a customer for life if the axon gets Android O I'm good on updates for this phone haha but I haven't experienced any issues you've had try the methods others have suggested and if you bought the phone through an authorized dealer let ZTE know and they'll fix your device

maulgandhi

I have not seen such issues, it may be Hardware issues, you should contact ZTE right away. Before you do, have you tried FDR, that should take care of all the issues you may have.

bobajet

Okay. Thanks to everyone except jazzi for the snarky comments. I knew the butthurt would be strong in this one. 1. I'm not an amateur, I factory reset it after the camera  broke the first time to no avail. I did it again after the SEVERE overheating issues to some avail. Camera was working, maybe something to do with the second update but still BLAZINGLY hot while charging, and now just in general use (unplugged of course guys come on), still won't charge past 85%. 2. Get out of your axon praising bubble guys a quick reddit search will show that I am NOT the only person dealing with issues after the updates, so much so that it was mentioned on a site like android Central or authority (can't remember which exactly) tempering people from buying it after the new low priced deals on this phone. 3. As for the device being defective, not likely, was perfect before updates, and lastly I'm responding on a moto g that I'm borrowing from my sister  because I've since sent the phone in for repairs. Postscript.... My note 7 was fine. That whole thing was blown way out of proportion considering the numbers sold and number of incidents, some of which were highly questionable. I'm not saying they didn't f up. But they fixed the problem. Got my money back.  S8 seems to be fine barring minor hue issues, so yes, I'm buying a note 8. I enjoyed the note 7 while I had it (my first Samsung device) and felt the s-pen was very innovative. Thx for all your help kiddos!!   

asianpianoman

I'm not as mortally outraged as the OP, but to be fair, I am having the camera focusing issue. Was almost unable to record my recital a few weeks ago. Basically, I'll open a camera app (Camera, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger) and the lens will refuse to focus, going back and forth rapidly so it creates an audible buzzing sound and the picture is blurry of course.

frodriguez2010

All phones have their quirks.  All have their ups and downs with android versions.  Hardware.  even the higher tier ones with batteries exploding.  All have issues.  Thing is to adapt and truly find what works for you. 

I come from a consumer's point of view that was dissatisfied with a manufacturer that appeared not to care about their customers and only cared about creating the next phone to have the next version of Android with it buggy as heck to boot. 

These guys do care and try to accommodate users issues and find resolutions.  Of course there are those consumers that are stuck to negativity and ask for impossibilities at the time.  Although, it is an opportunity, it is one that is slated and studied for a resolution at a time further down the road and not necessarily at an instant.   But there are efforts.  we as consumers must give the chance.