29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 11:27 PM by jimlloyd40

Axon 7 despair

downhillescape@gmail.com

I purchased my first ZTE product on December 10, 2016.  I was beyond excited coming from an HTC one M8, because the Axon 7 was everything I wanted out of a phone.  I purchased the device and brought it home to discover the camera would only work if you bumped the phone with your palm.  It would flash some colors and stay on for a minute before going dark.  I returned it to Best Buy at the recommendation of ZTE customer support.  

Moving forward with device #2 the screen would split in half and display gibberish.  Touch still worked, and twisting the phone would make the problem go away, I called customer service and did the 10 day RMA.

Device #3: The ois is acting up on the rear facing camera.  Pull up the camera app, and it starts buzzing and distorting the picture.  I called customer support, well aware of what the options were, wiped the cache and did a factory reset, problem persists.  I spoke to the "floor supervisor" and told her I didn't want to wait ten days, and I didn't want to put a hold on my checking account.  I realized at the time that this probably wasn't going to happen, but it was worth a shot.  She shot that idea down.  So I asked for a refund for the purchase price of the phone, obviously there are some quality control issues happening and I need a reliable device for work.  She also shot that down, not unexpected either.

I marked this as a question to get some feedback on whether this has happened in the past to anyone, and what you guys and gals did.  I feel like I've been let down by a company I supported, and am incredibly furstrated that a 400 dollar device is having problems across 3 separate units.  Customer service is incredibly friendly, and the only reason why I haven't completely given up hope and gone with Samsung. 

• Re: Axon 7 despair
          shadowsports

3 defective devices...   Yes, at this point you have been let down...  its time to walk away.  Purchase another device, send the current phone in for warranty (doesn't matter when you get it back) and call it a day.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            downhillescape@gmail.com

Update: After getting sufficiently worked up writing that rant, I called the corporate office and spoke with the customer service manager.  He informed me that a new device will be shipped tomorrow, and an engineer will inspect it prior to leaving the repair center.  He was incredibly friendly, and apologetic to the issues I'm having.  I am beyond blown away at the customer service, here's to hoping device #4 is the winner. 

dnewman007

I understand how you must feel. I hope the next device is as good as mine has been. Best of luck to you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                acatrus

I hope it work to your satisfaction.

I own the Axon7 since day one, never had any problem. But I know ZTE had a few problem with customers support, but from what I see, they are getting better. I think they really want to get a place in North America.

If you can get a good phone, I'm confident you won't regret it, and when you'll upgrade you will stay with ZTE

jimlloyd40

Your last sentence,  "if you can get a good phone" is a sad epitaph. Having to get 4 phones to get one that works properly is pitiful. You should have been given a refund as you requested. Luckily for me the two A7 's that I got weren't like the OP' s experience.

acatrus

You are right. For my sentence, the context is missing, and it's unacceptable to not get what you want.

Also please note that I'm French, so sometime I don't write the way English understand what I means

jimlloyd40

acatrus I wasn't criticizing you and point taken. Thank you for explaining.

acatrus

I know and I didn't take it personnally. I'm with the OP on this one, when you buy something, no matter what, no matter how it cost, you must be satisfied. Especialy with smartphone, they are so much choice for the customer, especially from new company, like ZTE, OnePLUS, Xiomi (if they could support NA LTE band), Huawei, etc. and I'm not talking about the "big" one, like LG, Samsung, Apple and so on!

I almost got a ONE+ before getting the Axon7, and if I were not satisfied, they are so many offers for me to choose. And I'm sure the majority of us has a perfect device, and I'm sure for the next phone, ZTE will be more than ever agressive on the market to please the customer.

hollap

downhillescape@gmail.com, hopefully the 4th one will be the charm. While some people have had some small issues with devices (I have the camera OIS issue myself) and have had to exchange, most as shown above have had a good experience.  I'm glad Customer Service is handling it well for you too.  Good luck!

saeedted

Sorry to hear you have  been the victim of poor QC; I hope Axon number 4 is the phone that you deserve.

quantomik

I have a similar OIS buzzing and distorted image sometimes on the rear camera. I've seen that multiple people have this issue, is it worth trying to get the device repaired with ZTE?

rcloke91

I, like others, have the OIS issue (along with another issue where the device doesn't charge to 100%). I chatted in, was told there wasn't stock. The rep said she'd notify me when stock came in. About a week later, today, that same rep emailed me to say that small shipment of replacement devices came in. Great! (the followup email coming from the same rep was a rather nice customer service touch, imo).

I chatted in a few hours later, this afternoon, to inquire about finally doing an Advance Exchange. Between 11:30a and 4p the refurbished stock was gone. I have to continue to wait.

The reps are pretty fantastic in my experiences thus far. The phone is okay. The supply issues are pretty bad, and it is not okay to make people with a valid warranty wait unknown amounts of time to get replacement devices. I don't think that's acceptable.

downhillescape@gmail.com

Wow, thanks for the feedback ladies and gents!  I'm sad to see that I am not alone in the ZTE quality control department.

Update: The gentleman whom I spoke with had assured me multiple times on the phone that I would be his first priority this morning, as the repair center had closed down already.  He said that I would receive a call from him first thing, and we would discuss options.  He even made a point to pause and not a note down so he wouldn't forget. It is now 615 pm central time, with no such call.  I've called the ZTE corporate office in TX (same number I used yesterday) with no answer.   I understand that he probably has bigger fish to fry, but he genuinely seemed concerned and was adamant that this issue would be resolved this morning.  It's okay with me if ZTE no longer wants my business, I just don't like being lied to.

beenwaitingforthis

Waiting for the A8 and this makes me worried... I guess the early apprehensions about quality control being sacrificed for price were at least partly correct.

downhillescape@gmail.com

Well, the main guy finally got back to me a couple minutes ago.  Said the phone is out of stock, but is trying to pull one from somewhere and send it to me ASAP.  We shall see.  I am pretty burned out on this whole deal and just want a new phone.

maverick

yeah having connectivity issues with mine still. had to call poison control for emergency and couldnt make the call in a saturated area. the phone is falling apart. My camera module is buzzing when i open gallery or camera. Its hard taking pictures but i dont take many. The phone had everything going for it and was my all time favorite but clearly its not built well nor properly. I now have no service where i live. sweet. It's just pointless at this time...

jazzi

You are indeed a patient and tolerant individual.  I would have likely bought another device after receiving the second faulty unit.  I do hope that the fourth unit functions perfectly until you are ready to replace it.

One suspicion I have held is that many companies simply repackage returned devices without proper testing and simply pass them on with the hope that a customer who has been frustrated by the deeply annoying returns process would simply give in.  Your case bears all the hallmarks of that deplorable practice.

I once bought what I thought was a fully boxed brand new kettle only to find that it showed obvious signs of use with brown  coffee or tea stains when I unpacked it at home.

There is simply no excuse for being sent a faulty device as a replacement. Twice therefore is simply an outrage and completely unacceptable.

Every care should be taken to avoid subjecting a customer to all of that frustration and inconvenience.

downhillescape@gmail.com

Got a text today from the gentleman handling my claim.  He gave me the tracking number for my "new" device, I'll have it tomorrow but won't be able to swap it until Thursday.  Will update when I get it.