15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 4:02 PM by stevec5375

Axon 7 Android O

ryantek954

Hello forum,

I was wondering with the Google release of the final API's for Android O. The question remains: Will the Axon 7 be upgraded to Android O?

• Re: Axon 7 Android O
          hollap

ryantek954, it's impossible to know at this point if it will receive O or not.

stevec5375

OMG!  This phone has been out since May 2016 and it still has issues.  The only OS upgrade I'm interested in is the one which fixes the BUGS!  I don't care if it's Android XYZ as long as they address the outstanding issues and not break 14 other things.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                  hollap

I can't disagree with you there stevec5375

ggreg

stevec5375 wrote:

OMG! This phone has been out since May 2016 and it still has issues. The only OS upgrade I'm interested in is the one which fixes the BUGS! I don't care if it's Android XYZ as long as they address the outstanding issues and not break 14 other things.

Well said.

kevinmcmurtrie

I want the radios to stop cycling on and off and I want the phone to reliably ring, vibrate, or be silent as chosen in settings.  A bonus would be not having to delete app caches and preferences regularly to clear corruption.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          mouse

I totally agree with your post. All the fanboys who need bragging rights for having the latest OS installed don't seem to mind that the Axon 7 has some serious bugs, especially in the Phone and Notifications department. This is very serious and ZTE better realise that missing calls/notifications from a loved one or business opportunity will soon have people calling this phone a "Toy" that is not suited for the demands of the real world.

The updates (all of them appreciated), have done very little to work out the Phone/notification gremlins that persist and continue to plague this wonderful piece of hardware.

I am convinced that it's a ZTE software issue, not Android. So many things were removed to allow the MIfavor skin to work and I think that this is where the problem is hidden. The power management feature of this phone is super aggressive in my opinion, it would seem as if it's main objective is to override the power choices of the user, so as to maintain battery performance figures.

I did a little experiment with my Twitter feed which usually goes off (notifications) at a rate of 3-4 tweets per minute. I went into settings>notifications and selected a game app and I banned all notifications for the app ONLY. I then exited to the home screen. The phone was allowed to go to the lock screen and I waited. Guess what? No Tweets! No email notifications, no text notifications, no lockscreen notifications either! Phone was dead quiet........I really doubt that Android O is going to fix that.

After, I went back into settings>power manager>power management for apps> Twitter and changed "autostart of apps" from auto to allow, things seemed to return to normal. I should not have to do this.......wonky software, plain and simple.....

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            klev

Me too! I think this is whats causing my battery drain

sigma00015

Agreed.  I would also place fixing the frequent random restarts/lock-ups and the home screen crashes over a MiFavor O upgrade.

ZTE the reason why the Axon 7 was so loved is that it provides flagship hardware, excellent speakers and micro sdxc at a price that doesn't require carrier-dependency to be affordable.

We neither need nor want the fancy UI, the custom apps  and the resulting bloat&instability that such a decision brings.

WE just want all the phone's features to work. So if you take Lineage OS, change the looks but not the interface and add proper drivers...

No one will have single word of criticism for that decision, on the contrary-- we will praise it to the heavens as we sit down to receive full enjoyment from our devices that have been previously hamstrung by the poor quality software.

ryampolsky

Agreed that a bugfix/security upgrade for Nougat would be more valuable at the moment than some vague promise to support O in the future.   And it's probably more likely.  But I think the point of posts like this is that when all the other vendors are stepping up to the plate to commit to supporting the next Android version, it's an appropriate time to pressure ZTE to do the same.

Seriously, ZTE had something great with the A7 and the community of users/developers that sprung up around it.  But somehow they've chosen to retreat behind a wall of secrecy that has lost them most of the goodwill.  To the extent that hollap above responds "it's impossible to know at this point if it will receive O or not.".  It shouldn't be impossible, and any sane company would not want to alienate their user/fan base by acting as if it's impossible to know what the company is planning.  OnePlus recently conceded that they're not releasing Nougat for the OP2.  Pretty bad, IMHO, but at least they came out and said it.  And, they make it easy enough for third parties to support it in their absence.

abozhin

I think that ZTE will say anything only after official Android O release to AOSP.

texasmade1

I would hope that it would receive Android O, as it has the hardware to easily run it. Maybe they try and get their UI refined and run it on top of Android O or maybe they use close to stock like they used to use on most of their US phones. We'll see, eventually

jimlloyd40

I would love for them to use stock Android but there isn't much hope for that. They've invested too much time and effort into MiFavor to dump it now. They just shouldn't have used it in the first place. Especially considering that many of ZTE 's other phones were basically stock Android.